A Descriptive Analysis of Psychosocial Factors Associated With Non- fatal Adolescent Suicide Attempts
Introduction: Adolescence is the tender, vulnerable transition period with umpteen challenges and individual vulnerability. Various Psychosocial factors play a determinantal role in the genesis of adolescent suicide attempts and the present descriptive study tries to analyze some common psychosocial factors in cases of non-fatal adolescent suicide attempters.
Method: Fifty subjects were recruited in the study. Detailed assessment of psychiatric morbidity and attempted suicide was done by clinical interview and validated by M.I.N.I.- KID, Beck Suicide Intent Scale and Adolescent Suicide Assessment Protocol-20. Psychosocial factors associated with the attempt were documented with the semi-structured proforma and descriptive statistical analysis was done with the help of SPSS version 15.
Results: Majority of the suicide attempters were in the age group of 18-19 years and females (54%) outnumbered males (46%). Most of the subjects were single (88%), Hindu (86%) by religion, belonged to middle socioeconomic class (82%) and were from the urban background (80%). Two third of them belonged to nuclear family and half of them were students. In our evaluation of various psychosocial factors, 76% of subjects were found to have psychosocial stressor, in that 10% had two or more stressors. Family related factors were the most common (60%) followed by college related factors (26%) in which most common was love failure (12%).
Conclusion: A sizeable proportion of subjects had various psychosocial factors associated with non-fatal adolescent suicide attempts and emphasis on these factors can help in prevention and hence monitoring of at-risk adolescents.
2. Adolescence- An Age of Opportunity. Available from: http://unicef.in/PressReleases/87/Adolescence-An-Age-of. [Last accessed on 2015 September 6].
3. Census of India 2011. Available from: http://www.imaginmor.com/census-of-india-2011.html. [Last accessed on 2015 September 6].
4. Sadock BJ, Sadock VA. Kaplan & Sadock’s Synopsis of Psychiatry, 10th ed. USA: Lippincott H. Williams and Wilkins, 2009, 1264pp.
5. Shain BN; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Adolescence. Suicide and suicide attempts in adolescents. Pediatrics. 2007 Sep;120(3):669-76.
6. Anthony Lake. The State of The World’s Children 2011: Adolescence an Age of opportunity. New York: UNICEF February 2011. 138p.
7. Du Plessis ED. Psychosocial Factors As Predictors Of Suicidal Ideation Amongst Adolescents In The Free State Province: A Cross-Cultural Study. (Psychology thesis). University of the Free state; February 2012.
8. Sigelman CK., Rider, EA. Life-span human development. 5th ed. Belmont, California: Wadsworth; 2010.
9. Kar N. Profile of risk factors associated with suicide attempts: A study from Orissa, India. Indian J Psychiatry. 2010 Jan;52(1):48-56. doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.58895. [PubMed]
10. Mishra D, Singh HP. Kuppuswamy's socioeconomic status scale--a revision. Indian J Pediatr. 2003 Mar;70(3):273-4. [PubMed]
11. Sheehan DV, Lecrubier Y, Sheehan KH, Amorim P, Janavs J, Weiller E et al. The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10. J Clin Psychiatry. 1998;59 Suppl 20:22-33;quiz 34-57.
12. Beck AT, Kovacs M, Weissman A. Assessment of suicidal intention: the Scale for Suicide Ideation. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1979 Apr;47(2):343-52.
13. Fremouw WJ, Strunj JM, Tymer EA. Adolescent suicide assessment protocol-20. Available from: http://www.wvsuicidecouncil.org. [Last accessed on 2015 September 6].
14. Kumar CT, Chandrasekaran R. A study of psychosocial and clinical factors associated with adolescent suicide attempts. Indian J Psychiatry. 2000 Jul;42(3):237-42. [PubMed]
15. Wunderlich U, Bronisch T, Wittchen HU, Carter R. Gender differences in adolescents and young adults with suicidal behaviour. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2001 Nov;104(5):332-9. [PubMed]
16. Early Marriage: A Harmful Traditional Practice: A Statistical Exploration. UNICEF, 2005. Available from http://www.unicef.org/publications/files/Early_Marriage_12.lo.pdf. [Last accessed on 2015 September 6].
17. The State of the World’s children. UNICEF, 2007. Available from http://www.unicef.org/publications/files/The_State_of_the_Worlds__Children__2007_e.pdf. [Last accessed on 2015 September 6].
18. Gehlot PS, Nathawat SS. Suicide and family constellation in India. Am J Psychother. 1983 Apr;37(2):273-8. [PubMed]
19. Singh H, Sofat R, Gill PJ, Soni RK, Kaur L. Adolescent girls' anxieties -- role of stressful life events. Indian J Matern Child Health. 1990 Oct-Dec;1(4):142-3. [PubMed]
20. Mathur VK, Freeman DG. A theoretical model of adolescent suicide and some evidence from US data. Health Econ. 2002 Dec;11(8):695-708. [PubMed]
21. Langille DB, Curtis L, Hughes J, Murphy GT. Association of socio-economic factors with health risk behaviours among high school students in rural Nova Scotia. Can J Public Health. 2003 Nov-Dec;94(6):442-7. [PubMed]
22. Aaron R, Joseph A, Abraham S, Muliyil J, George K, Prasad J, Minz S, Abraham VJ, Bose A. Suicides in young people in rural southern India. Lancet. 2004 Apr 3;363(9415):1117-8. [PubMed]
23. National Crimes Records Bureau. Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India 2013. New Delhi: Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India; 2014.
24. Bumbrah GS, Krishan K, Kanchan T, Sharma M, Sodhi GS. Phosphide poisoning: a review of literature. Forensic Sci Int. 2012 Jan 10;214(1-3):1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2011.06.018. Epub 2011 Jul 16. [PubMed]
25. Ponnudurai R, Jeyakar J, Saraswathy M. Attempted suicides in Madras. Indian J Psychiatry. 1986 Jan;28(1):59-62. [PubMed]
26. Saddichha S, Prasad MN, Saxena MK. Attempted suicides in India: a comprehensive look. Arch Suicide Res. 2010;14(1):56-65. doi: 10.1080/13811110903479060. [PubMed]
27. Shaffer D. Suicide in childhood and early adolescence. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1974 Oct;15(4):275-91. [PubMed]
28. Hepp U, Stulz N, Unger-Köppel J, Ajdacic-Gross V. Methods of suicide used by children and adolescents. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012 Feb;21(2):67-73. doi: 10.1007/s00787-011-0232-y. Epub 2011 Dec 1. [PubMed]
29. Miranda R, Scott M, Hicks R, Wilcox HC, Harris Munfakh JL, Shaffer DJ. Suicide attempt characteristics, diagnoses, and future attempts: comparing multiple attempters to single attempters and ideators. Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2008 Jan; 47(1):32-40.
30. Bridge JA, Goldstein TR, Brent DA. Adolescent suicide and suicidal behavior. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2006 Mar-Apr;47(3-4):372-94. [PubMed]
31. Levy SR, Jurkovic GL, Spirito A. A multisystems analysis of adolescent suicide attempters. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 1995 Apr;23(2):221-34. [PubMed]
32. William JF, Julia MS, Elizabeth AT, Robert M. Adolescent Suicide Assessment Protocol-20. Available from: http://preventsuicidewv.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ASAP-20.pdf. [Last accessed on 2015 September 6].
33. Hawton K, O'Grady J, Osborn M, Cole D. Adolescents who take overdoses: their characteristics, problems and contacts with helping agencies. Br J Psychiatry. 1982 Feb;140:118-23.
34. Johnson JG, Cohen P, Gould MS, Kasen S, Brown J, Brook JS. Childhood Adversities, Interpersonal Difficulties, and Risk for Suicide Attempts during Late Adolescence and Early Adulthood. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2002 Aug;59(8):741-9.
35. Asarnow JR, Carlson GA, Guthrie D. Coping strategies, self-perceptions, hopelessness, and perceived family environments in depressed and suicidal children. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1987 Jun;55(3):361-6.
36. Brent DA, Kolko DJ, Allan MJ, Brown RV. Suicidality in affectively disordered adolescent inpatients. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1990 Jul;29(4):586-93.
37. Wilburn VR, Smith DE. Stress, self-esteem, and suicidal ideation in late adolescents. Adolescence. 2005 Spring;40(157):33-45.
38. Brent DA, Moritz G, Bridge J, Perper J, Canobbio R. The impact of adolescent suicide on siblings and parents: a longitudinal follow-up. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1996 Fall;26(3):253-9. [PubMed]
39. Raj M, Kumaraiah V, Bhide AV. Social and clinical factors related to deliberate self-harm. NIMHANS J 2000;18(1&2):3-18.
40. Arcel LT, Mantonakis J, Petersson B, Jemos J, Kaliteraki E. Suicide attempts among Greek and Danish women and the quality of their relationships with husbands or boyfriends. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1992 Mar;85(3):189-95. [PubMed]
41. Badrinarayana A. Suicidal attempt in Gulbarga. Indian J Psychiatry 1977;19(4):69-70.
42. Katherine A, Timmons KA, Edward A, Selby EA, Peter M, Lewinsohn PM, Joiner TE. Parental Displacement and Adolescent Suicidality: Exploring the Role of Failed Belonging. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 2011;40(6):807–17. [PubMed]
43. Grossman DC, Milligan BC, Deyo RA. Risk factors for suicide attempts among Navajo adolescents. Am J Public Health. 1991 Jul;81(7):870-4. [PubMed]
44. Lewinsohn PM, Rohde P, Seeley JR. Psychosocial risk factors for future adolescent suicide attempts. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1994 Apr;62(2):297-305. [PubMed]
45. Srivastava MK, Sahoo RN, Ghotekar LH, Dutta S, Danabalan M, Dutta TK, Das AK. Risk factors associated with attempted suicide : a case control study. Indian J Psychiatry. 2004 Jan;46(1):33-8. [PubMed]
46. Agerbo E, Nordentoft M, Mortensen PB. Familial, psychiatric, and socioeconomic risk factors for suicide in young people: nested case-control study. BMJ. 2002 Jul 13;325(7355):74. [PubMed]
47. Prigerson HG, Bridge J, Maciejewski PK, Beery LC, Rosenheck RA, Jacobs SC, Bierhals AJ, Kupfer DJ, Brent DA. Influence of traumatic grief on suicidal ideation among young adults. Am J Psychiatry. 1999 Dec;156(12):1994-5. [PubMed]
48. Lewinsohn PM, Rohde P, Seeley JR. Adolescent suicidal ideation and attempts: Prevalence, risk factors, and clinical implications. Clinical Psychology Science and Practice 1996;3:25–36.
49. Brent DA. Overrepresentation of epileptics in a consecutive series of suicide attempters seen at a children's hospital, 1978-1983. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry. 1986 Mar;25(2):242-6. [PubMed]
50. Roberts AR, Bender K. Juvenile offender suicide: prevalence, risk factors, assessment, and crisis intervention protocols. Int J Emerg Ment Health. 2006 Fall;8(4):255-65. [PubMed]
51. DeHart DD, Smith HP, Kaminski RJ. Institutional responses to self-injurious behavior among inmates. J Correct Health Care. 2009 Apr;15(2):129-41; quiz 159-60. doi: 10.1177/1078345809331444. [PubMed]
52. Martin G, Bergen HA, Richardson AS, Roeger L, Allison S. Sexual abuse and suicidality: gender differences in a large community sample of adolescents. Child Abuse Negl. 2004 May;28(5):491-503. [PubMed]
53. Shain BN; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Adolescence. Suicide and suicide attempts in adolescents. Pediatrics. 2007 Sep;120(3):669-76.