Endometrial thickness by USG as a guideline for the treatment of Dysfunctional uterine bleeding in Premenopausal Women
Introduction: Endometrium is mucosal layer of uterus. Throughout the reproductive age, endometrium undergoes cyclical changes during each lunar month to prepare uterus for implantation. Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) is the most common cause of abnormal vaginal bleeding (AUB) during a womans reproductive years. It affects womens health both medically and socially.
Aim & Objective: To decide cut of limit of Endometrial thickness (ET) by ultrasonography (USG) for the treatment of DUB patients in premenopausal women.
Method: A total of 60 patients with irregular menstrual bleeding of DUB attending Department of Obstetric and Gynecology in M G M Medical College and Hospital were selected. ET was noted by USG.
Result: In younger age group most of patients showed good response to medical line of treatment, while premenopausal women needed surgical line of treatment.
Conclusion: ET in younger age group is in the normal range (<8mm) as compared to moderate ET (8-11mm) in perimenopausal women. In perimenopausal age, the preferred line of treatment will be either D&C or hysterectomy, when ET is >8 mm.
2. Datta DC. Text book of Gynecology. Menstuation. 2nd edi. New central book agency Ltd. Calcutta, India 2000;75-90.
3. Persadie RJ. Ultrasonographic assessment of endometrial thickness: a review. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2002 Feb;24(2):131-6. [PubMed]
4. Delate OM, Gupta A, Abraham C, Chandrareddy A, Bowers Jr CH, Cutlet JB. Management of Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding based on Endometrial Thickness. International Journal of Women’s Health. 2010; 2: 297-302. [PubMed]
5. Dr. Chittacharoen A, Theppisai U, Linasmita V, Jittima M; Sonohysterography in the Diagnosis of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Research. Aug 2000 Aug; 26: 277-81. [PubMed]
6. Ozdemir S, Cetin C, Gezginc K, Kiresi D, Esen H. Evaluation of endometrial thickness with transvaginal ultrasonography and histopathology in premenopausal women with abnormal vaginal bleeding. Journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society.2009 Aug:19(6): 1085-90.
7. Dangle G; A study of endometrium of patients with abnormal uterine bleeding at Chitwan Valley. Katmandu University Medical Journal.2003; 1(2): 110-2.
8. Machado LS, Mathew M, Al-Hassani A, Vaclavinkova V. Correlation of endometrial thickness, cycle day and histopathology in women with abnormal uterine bleeding. Saudi Med. J. 2005 Feb; 26( 2): 260-3. [PubMed]
9. Padubidri VG, Daftary SN; Shaw’s Textbook of Gynecology. Disorder’s of menstruation.13th edi. Elsevier, a division of Reed Elsevier India Private Limited, New Dehli 2006: 286.
10. Padubidri VG, Daftary SN; Shaw’s Textbook of Gynecology. Menorrhagia and Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding.13th edi. . Elsevier, a division of Reed Elsevier India Private Limited, New Dehli 2006:296-297.