Effectiveness of an information booklet on Prevention and early detection of cervical cancer in terms of knowledge among female school teachers in selected secondary schools in Mairang Town, Meghalaya State
Introduction: A pre-experimental study was undertaken with one group pretest posttest design to find the effectiveness of Information booklet on knowledge of female school teachers regarding prevention and early detection of cervical cancer in selected secondary schools, Mairang Town, Meghalaya State. Objectives: The main objectives of the study were to assess the knowledge of female school teachers on prevention and early detection of cervical cancer before and after administering the information booklet and to evaluate the effectiveness of information booklet on prevention and early detection of cervical cancer in terms of gain in knowledge. Material and Methods: The conceptual frame work adopted for the study was based on Health Belief Model. The sample size is 30, non-probability purposive sampling is the sampling technique adopted. The data was collected by using the structured knowledge questionnaire. Result: The findings of the study revealed that the mean posttest knowledge scores (23.17) of the teachers was higher than the pretest knowledge scores (12.83). The obtained mean difference was found to be statistically significant at 0.05 level of significance, as evident from calculated ‘t’(29)= 20.09, there by indicating the effectiveness of the information booklet regarding prevention and early detection of cervical cancer. Conclusion : The information Booklet on prevention and early detection of cervical cancer was effective for increasing the knowledge
2. Ferlay J, Shin H-R, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C, Parkin DM. Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: Globocan 2008. Int J Cancer. 2010 Dec 15;127(12):2893-917. doi: 10.1002/ijc.25516.
3. WHO/ICO Information Centre on HPV and Cervical Cancer (HPV Information Centre). Summary report on HPV and cervical cancer statistics in India 2007. [Place unknown]: [Publisher unknown]; [date unknown].
4. Nandakumar A, Ramnath T, Chaturvedi M. The magnitude of cancer breast in India: A summary. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2010 Jan 1;1(1):8-9. doi: 10.1007/s13193-010-0004-z.
5. Sankaranarayanan R, Ferlay J. Worldwide burden of gynaecological cancer: The size of the problem. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Apr;20(2):207-25. doi: 10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2005.10.007.
6. Safaeian M, Solomon D, Castle PE. Cervical cancer prevention--cervical screening: science in evolution. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2007 Dec;34(4):739-ix. doi: 10.1016/j.ogc.2007.09.004.
7. Kasturi J, Bhagwan MN, Rajendra AB, Nandkumar SP, Ranjit VT, Feroz YK. Rural Cancer Registry at Barshi, Maharashtra and its impact on cancer control. Natl Med India. 2010 Nov-Dec;23(6):274-7.
8. Aswathy S, Quereshi MA, Kurian B, Leelamoni K. Cervical cancer screening: Current knowledge & practice among women in a rural population of Kerala, India. Indian J Med Res. 2012 Aug;136(2):205-10.
9. Sarkar K. A study to determine the factors associated with the delayed presentations of patients with carcinoma cervix in selected cancer hospitals in Kolkata [dissertation]. West Bengal University of Health Sciences; 2010 Apr.
10. Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute. [Place unknown]: [Publisher unknown]; [date unknown]. Available from: https://www.cnci.ac.in/annual-report/
11. NCRP Annual reports... [Place unknown]: National Cancer Registry Programme, Indian Council of Medical Research; [date unknown]. Available from: https://www.ncdirindia.org/NCRP/Annual_Reports.aspx.
12. Debbarma M. A study to evaluate the effectiveness of an information booklet on side effects of radiation therapy and its management among patient with oral cancer in selected hospital at Agartala [dissertation]. Kolkata: The West Bengal University of Health Sciences; 2011.
13. Sengupta C. A study to evaluate the effectiveness of an information booklet on the knowledge regarding the short-term side effects of radiotherapy and it’s relieving measures among the patients having cervical cancer in a selected hospital in Kolkata, West Bengal [dissertation]. Kolkata:
Copyright (c) 2023 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.