Fournier's gangrene: a review of 38 cases in a tertiary hospital
Aim of the study: To study the incidence, age distribution, mode of presentation, abnormalities in biochemical parameters, to lay down parameters for prognostication and study the outcome of fournier's gangrene.
Methodology: This prospective study was conducted upon 38 patients diagnosed with Fournier's gangrene in surgical unit of our institute from November 2007 – October 2009.
Results: Total number of surgical admissions in our institution during the period from November 2007 – October 2009 were 11,507. Of which, the number of cases of Fournier’s Gangrene were 38 (Incidence - 0.33%).
Conclusion: Fournier's gangrene is associated with high mortality.
2. Fournier JA Gangrene foudroyante de la verge. Medecin Pratique1883; 4: 589 -97.
3. J. Torremadé Barreda, M. Millán Scheiding, C. Suárez Fernández, M. Cuadrado Campaña, J. Rodríguez Aguilera, E. Franco Miranda Gangrena de Fournier: Estudio retrospectivo de 41 casos Cir Esp, 87 (2010), pp. 218-223 doi: 10.1016/j.ciresp.2009.12.012.
4. Smith GL, Bunker CB, Dinneen MD. Fournier's gangrene. Br J Urol. 1998 Mar;81(3):347-55.
5. Luján Marco S, Budía A, Di Capua C, Broseta E, Jiménez Cruz F. Evaluation of a severity score to predict the prognosis of Fournier's gangrene. BJU Int. 2010 Aug;106(3):373-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.09075.x. Epub 2009 Nov 17.
6. Sabiston textbook of surgery, 19 th edition:2052.
7. Rajbhandari SM, Wilson RM. Unusual infections in diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract.1998Feb;39(2):123-8.
8. Clayton MD, Fowler JE Jr, Sharifi R, Pearl RK. Causes, presentation and survival of fifty-seven patients with necrotizing fasciitis of the male genitalia. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1990 Jan;170(1):49-55.
9. Aşci R, Sarikaya S, Büyükalpelli R, Yilmaz AF, Yildiz S. Fournier's gangrene: risk assessment and enzymatic debridement with lyophilized collagenase application. Eur Urol. 1998;34(5):411-8.
10. Baskin LS, Carroll PR, Cattolica EV, McAninch JW. Necrotising soft tissue infections of the perineum and genitalia. Bacteriology, treatment and risk assessment. Br J Urol. 1990 May;65(5):524-9.
11. Cohen MS. Fournier’s gangrene – American Urological Association Update 1986 Series 5,6.
12. Blanchard RJ. Fulminating nonclostridial gasforming infection: a case of necrotizing fasciitis. Can J Surg. 1975 Jul;18(4):339-41, 344.